Cargo Declaration Import 2.0

The central gateway for submitting summary declarations to Customs.

Frequently Asked Questions

Customer verification

How do I find out my customer code at the shipping company?

The shipping company will send you your customer code by e-mail. This takes place outside of Portbase's services. You then register this customer code in Cargo Controller or Cargo Release Manager to be verified by the shipping company via the PCS.

Was this post helpful?

How can I register my customer code in Cargo Controller or Cargo Release Manager?

Log in to the service Cargo Controller, or Cargo Release Manager, and go to User Menu. Select ' Manage data authorisations'

The screen will open with the tab ' Commercial releases'. Select the shipping company, enter the customer code and click Save.

You will now see the submitted customer codes listed by carrier company name's. The carrier will immediately receive a notification and will review your verification request.

Start Portbase Secure Chain

In consultation with the carrier, you then decide from which date, or for which B/Ls, commercial releases will be issued in Cargo Controller, or Cargo Release Manager, via the PCS. Portbase has no part in this process, this is purely between your organization and the carrier(s).

Manage customer codes

You can have several customer codes per carrier, which you can register individually. In this tab you can see per carrier which customer codes you have registered and you can also manage these by removing expired customer codes using the 'Delete' button.

Was this post helpful?

My customer code has not been verified. What should I do?

Contact the carrier. They have identified a reason to reject the customer code you have submitted. It is best to ask the carrier the reason for this.

Manage customer codes

If you did not enter the customer code correctly, you can easily delete it. To do so, click the Delete-button in the same screen where you entered the customer code for verification.

Was this post helpful?

My customer code has been verified. What happens next?

Start Portbase Secure Chain

In consultation with the carrier, you jointly determine from when the commercial releases will be issued via PCS in Cargo Controller, or Cargo Release Manager. Portbase has no further active role in this, this is done via the shipping company.

Basic functionalities
You can now manage the supply chain to retrieve the relevant containers without PIN code. As usual, you will still receive a delivery note from the carrier by email, but now without a PIN code.

  • We have drawn up the following manual for the Secure Chain features within Cargo Controller.
  • We have drawn up the following manual for the Secure Chain features within Cargo Release Manager.

On the current page you will find various FAQs per subject and there we will go into more detail on specific steps in managing your logistics chain within the Secure Chain.

Was this post helpful?

Revoking a commercial release

I see that I am no longer assigned for my B/L; how is this possible?

Revoked release

Just as you can revoke the rights of the next party in the chain, your principal in the chain can also revoke this for you as a release-to-party, director or inland operator.

For example, a carrier can withdraw the entire commercial release for the full chain. At that point, the container will no longer be available for collection until the commercial release has been re-issued again.

Your chain may have already been fully prepared, and this chain is still active at this point. Only without the commercial release your inland operator cannot remove the container. If the carrier re-issues the commercial release, this automatically restores your prepared chain and your inland operator can submit the pre-notification.

The same effect can also arise if the validity of your commercial release has expired. Although this is not yet the case at this stage of the Secure Chain, this may change in the future.

Contact your carrier for a new commercial exemption.

Revoked authorization or nomination

Please contact your client if you are no longer authorized or nominated for this cargo.

Was this post helpful?

I see that the validity of the commercial release has expired, now what?

Contact your shipping company for a new commercial release or to renew the commercial release.

If your chain was already fully prepared, it will still be active. But without the commercial release, your haulier cannot unload the container. If the shipping company resends the commercial release, this automatically restores the chain you have prepared and your haulier can submit the prenotification.

Was this post helpful?


Adding overlanded containers to a manifest (with port of loading selection) in 3 steps.

1 - Select all (or part) and click Add to manifest

2 - The overlandeds are now out of the picture and must be added to a consignment => click on Add consignment.

=> consignment entry screen opens.

3 - Fill in all necessary and desired details (e.g. choose a port of loading) and click on Save en Send.

Was this post helpful?

How should I submit my empty containers?

Empty containers should always be submitted with a 4 in the EQD segment. If they are submitted with a 5, it means they are full.

An example of an empty container;


You must declare all containers as either empty or full on one B/L. Please note: no mixed B/L with full and empty containers. Outgoing to Customs, this will be entered in the process as 'E', provided no other status is entered in the screen for custom status.

Was this post helpful?

How should cargo that stays within the port be reported?

If, for example, cargo is loaded at ESSO and then unloaded at VOPAK, this does not have to be reported in the PCS.

However, a transport document will have to be created.

Was this post helpful?

How do I report a next vessel under transhipment container in IFTMCS?

If you want to add the data for the connecting feeder to the IFTMCS message, you can do so in the TPL segment.
Only the means of transport and the transport means name are extracted. We do not use any of the other fields.


It is not possible to add the voyage number. We have agreed with ECT Delta Terminal that instead of the vessel name, the radio call sign can be entered in this field. In the TPL segment, you only specify the follow-up modality. If you want to specify a next vessel, fill in the combination with the call sign or vessel name.

Allowed values are converted to the domain values of the Mode_of_Transport domain:
BARGE = 8 (inland water transport)
RAIL = 2 (rail transport)
SEA = 1 (maritime transport)
TRUCK = 3 (road transport)

Was this post helpful?

Until what point can I amend a manifest?

Every import manifest sent to Customs can be amended up to 90 days after arrival and forwarded to Customs. Changes can be made without proof within 72 hours. After 72 hours, Customs may request more information.

Was this post helpful?

Which code should I use for breakbulk?

You can use the following codes for breakbulk:

  • NF (unpackaged) with the number of items
  • NE (not packaged) with the number of items

Was this post helpful?

How should I declare the cargo if cargo is being transferred?

You should enter it in the import manifest as transhipment/sea in sea out. The outgoing agent must enter it in the export manifest.

In the IFTMCS, the code 27 must be added in the GOR segment. The GOR segment will look like this:
GOR++:::C’ For community cargo, use
GOR++:::N27+:::27’ For community transhipment cargo, use
GOR+++:::27’ For non-community transhipment cargo, use
GOR++:::T1’ For cargo for which there is a T1 on board, use

Was this post helpful?

Change to cargo declaration import internet Japan

The European Union and Japan recognise each other's safety programmes. If you have an AEO Customs Simplification and Safety certificate and you are dealing with goods shipments to Japan, you will be subject to fewer inspections by Customs. The same applies to Japanese AEO exporters who export goods to the EU. In consultation with Customs, the European Commission has designed a temporary solution for you.

If you wish to benefit from this mutual recognition between the European Union and Japan, you must enter the code Y031 and the unique identification number (Y031 + JP ID) of the Japanese AEO company in your entry summary declaration and the temporary storage summary declaration under the heading 'Produced documents/certificates'. Customs uses this code to identify certified companies from Japan.

The above arrangement applies to your entry summary declarations (ENS) and discharge summary declarations (SAL).

To submit summary declarations to Customs, you can use the service Pre-arrival Cargo Declaration Import (4 hours) and/or Cargo Declaration Import Internet via Portbase. Portbase will ensure that if you wish to make use of this arrangement, you can enter this information in the web screen as of 1 June 2012.

Was this post helpful?